September 4, 2015

The Bell Has Rung


"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" 
Mary Oliver


The Bell has rung, August 20, 2015 – 8:05am!!! And so begins the next part of my adventure. I call it my Re-phase: Redirect, refocus, reconnect, recharge, recenter, re...etc! 

After teaching 2nd Grade for 15 years (yes, not long compared to the many awesome teachers I've met who’ve done it for 25-30 years) it was my time to retire from the classroom. Becoming a teacher came to me in a dream and I followed that message whole-heartedly! 

The reasons teachers do what we do? How about observing a child so excited about learning or light up when something difficult finally makes sense. Or witnessing them practice the lessons that go beyond math and reading, such as kindness, cooperation, discovery, compassion. For me those rewards were many and wonder-filled.  One of my favorite moments came when one of my most shy, quiet students enthusiastically hugged me and said, "I love it here on planet earth Mrs. Nicolai and we are here together!"  

The realization that it was time to step out of full-time teaching also came to me as a message. From somewhere beyond or maybe it was not beyond but within me, during a quiet moment on the beach, the word S.P.A.C.E. was clearly etched in my mind's eye as if it had been written in the sand. 
"You need space,"  it said - Serenity, Presence, Adventure, Compassion, Energy.  
So I listened to my inner voice!!


Serenity
Presence



Adventure


Compassion


Energy
So on this day, I sat by the creek in a beautiful forest and enjoyed a Bloody Mary (along with a scrumptious Michael Breakfast) at 8:05AM when the back to school bell rang!  Not because I am saying “na, na, nana, na” look at me, but because moments like these are to be cherished and celebrated!! To all my “younger, more energetic” buds … your 8:05 when the bell rings moment will come too and I will smile with you then, as I know you are smiling with me now!!


Cheers!
At Waypoint "Wherever You Want"

No comments: